Thursday, May 31, 2012

welcome

I recently started on a journey to eat as an "unrefined" vegan ... that is a vegan who also does not use refined products i.e. oils, flour, sugars and also watch salt and sugar intake.

Here's what I wrote on my other blog about this new adventure:

Two weeks ago if you had told me I would no longer voluntarily be eating dairy, meat or added oils (e.g. olive oil, soy butter, vegetable oil), I probably would not have believed you.

Yet that is exactly what has happened.

After learning that my dad has significant blockages in his right carotid artery and his heart, I began reading
 "The Engine 2 Diet" by Rip Esselstyn. It's a book that outlines the importance of a "plant-strong diet" for lowering cholesterol levels and fighting the leading causes of death for Americans in the modern era...heart disease, cancer, stroke, obesity, diabetes and Alzheimer's. Here's a link to the CDC if you want to verify the numbers.

Although Rip is not a doctor, his father is and the Engine 2 Diet is based upon Dr. Esselstyn's long-term and ongoing study and findings that a plant-based diet void of any meats, dairy, added oils (and for patients with heart disease, no nuts, avocados, coconut, simple sugars) can not only prevent heart disease, it can even reverse it. Dr. Esselstyn captured this evidence in his book, "Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease."

The evidence is so compelling, my dad currently is praying about whether he undergoes the schedule multiple bypass surgery or treats the blockages through this diet. My mom spoke with Dr. Esselstyn who confirmed that it would be possible for my dad to do this - we just have to wait on what path God would have him follow. :) Regardless, my dad is on this diet now...it's a reality for him if he wants to prevent further blockages from occurring.

At first, I thought I would also go on this diet as a way of supporting my dad, especially since we live close by and often share meals as a larger family. But after reading "The Engine 2 Diet," and learning exactly what meat and dairy especially do to your body, I'm kind of disgusted at the thought of eating it.

And I thought I would share this journey with you. Because I think many of us have false information about what "healthy' really is. I certainly did. But the only way you can know for yourself is to read the books. :)

Originally, I intended to post the recipes at Whispers in the Silence, but it didn't seem to fit entirely with the purpose of that blog. So, here's what I consider my companion blog to Whispers. One dedicated to posting recipes and other tidbits related to this unrefined vegan lifestyle.

No comments:

Post a Comment