Friday, July 11, 2014

recipe review: curried chickpea cucumber wrap

With temperatures heating up, I excited to try this wrap from this blog. Another that I frequent in search of new recipes to try.

Kathy calls it the Sweet, Spicy, Curry Chickpea Cool Cucumber Wrap - a mouthful, but a delicious one. :) You can see the original recipe and pictures here.

Find my other recipe reviews here.

For the most part, I kept to the recipe with only a few modifications: I eliminated the coconut oil and raisins, kept the turmeric to 1 tsp, added an extra garlic clove, replaced the coconut sugar with date paste and reduced the pepper to a few dashes and did not add the apple cider vinegar to the cucumber salad. I also added lettuce to the wrap because I felt it needed it. The first time I tried it, I forgot the cashews. I think it tastes better with them in, but if you need to leave them out for dietary reasons, the wrap still is tasty.

Here's the recipe slightly re-wrapped:

Curried Chickpea Cucumber Wrap (recipe notes follow)
dairy free, fruit sweetened, nut free option, oil free, peanut free, soy free, sugar free, vegan

2 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium onion, chopped
 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp curry powder
1/4 tsp salt (or to taste)
few dashes pepper
1 Tbsp date paste
15-17oz. chickpeas, cooked
2 extra large or 3 medium-large wraps
1-2 lettuce leaves per wrap
1/4 cup raw cashews (optional)

Cucumber Salad:
1 cup cucumber, thinly sliced
1/2 cup apple, chopped or sliced in rounds
2 tsp tahini
1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
pinch of black pepper

Saute the onion and garlic in a little water until softened, then add in the lemon juice, spices, and date paste. Stir to combine and break down the date paste and then add in the chickpeas. Meanwhile, prepare the cucumber salad and lettuce. To assemble the wraps, add the lettuce to the wrap first, then add the cucumber salad and chickpea mixture and sprinkle on the cashews. Roll up and enjoy.

Recipe notes: I might try this with a little coconut oil (as the recipe originally called for) next time I make it for the added flavor dimension and moisture. Either than or use unsweetened shredded coconut plus a little extra water. I think a sweetener of some sort is necessary for the recipe because it compliments the curry and I went with date paste to keep this sugar free. I also would try slicing the apples into rounds to mirror the shape of the cucumber. While the chickpea mixture can be stored in the fridge for a few days, I think the cucumber salad tastes best fresh so make only enough for your wraps or use it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment