Tuesday, July 1, 2014

recipe review: warm nacho dip

I'm always on the lookout for new recipes to try and add to my repertoire of favorites and old standbys so I thought it would be fun to record recipes I try and note any changes I made.

First up is the "Life Affirming Warm Nacho Dip" from the Oh She Glows cookbook (found on page 83). I made this one over the weekend for a family gathering and it was a hit. Even with (most of) the kids...and we had all nine of the cousins there to sample it!

Here's the ingredient list for the original recipe:
cheese sauce:
1 cup raw cashews, soaked 2 hours to overnight
1 cup peeled, chopped, cooked carrots
2 T nutritional yeast
2 T fresh lemon juice
1 large garlic clove
1 1/4 tsp. fine-grain sea salt
3/4 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/4 to 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper (optional)
2/3 cup water

dip:
1 cup chunky marinara sauce
1 cup finely chopped sweet onion
2 to 3 handfuls roughly chopped baby spinach
1/2 cups crushed corn chips or bread crumbs
1-2 finely sliced green onions for garnish (optional)

Before I made the recipe, I knew I'd want to sub in salsa for the marinara sauce and I adjusted the seasonings as I went along so I could reduce the salt content. If you're looking to cut back on salt, one of the tricks I learned is to amp up the quantities of your spices, sometimes by as much as doubling or tripling. I did include the cayenne, but only put in a dash. The corn chips/bread crumb topping also could be left off for dietary reasons, but it does put a nice finish on it.

Here's the recipe as I made it:

Warm Nacho Dip (recipe notes follow)

vegan, dairy free, gluten free, oil free, paleo friendly, sugar free

cheese sauce:
1 cup raw cashews, soaked 2 hours to overnight
1 cup peeled, chopped, cooked carrots
2 T nutritional yeast
2 T fresh lemon juice
2 large garlic cloves
3/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. onion powder
dash cayenne pepper (optional)
2/3 cup of water

dip:
1 cup salsa
1 cup finely chopped onion
2 to 3 handfuls roughly chopped spinach
1/2 cups crushed corn chips (optional)
1-2 finely sliced green onions for garnish

1. To soak the cashews, place in a bowl and cover with water. Then drain and rinse.
2. To ensure some of the vitamins from the carrots wouldn't do down the drain (literally!), I boiled them until they were fork tender and all the water had boiled off. If you try this, watch carefully or the carrots will burn. You also could steam them.
3. Place the soaked cashews, cooked carrots and remaining sauce ingredients in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth. Add more water if necessary.
4. In an oven safe dish combine the sauce with the salsa, onion and spinach and garnish with the corn chips if using.
5. Bake in a 350 oven, uncovered for 30-35 minutes, making sure your corn chips don't burn.
6. Garnish with green onions if using and serve immediately.

recipe notes:
  • salt: when I originally made this, I used 1 tsp of regular table salt but still found this a bit salty, so I would try it next time with 3/4 tsp. salt as I reflected in the ingredients
  • I used Pace Mild salsa which is sugar free
  • I chopped the spinach a little more finely than "rough" to make it more kid-pleasing
  • I think the green onions are essential as an added flavor layer but you could still leave it out
  • although this recipe is meant to be warmed, I also enjoyed it cold


No comments:

Post a Comment