Friday, March 15, 2013

3-ingredient raw granola with gluten-free option

I remember going grocery shopping with my Nan in my younger adult years. I reached for granola and she commented on the sugar content in said box of granola. My response?

"It doesn't matter."



Oh, the folly of youth! And how our elders must smile when we begin to preach their wisdom right back at 'em.

Because I'm learning how much sugar does indeed matter and how it adversely affects our bodies, I'm looking for tasty ways to cut it out of my diet as much as possible. Doing a sugar fast for at least one month is one sure way of breaking the sugar addiction, but at some point, sugar begins to creep back into a diet, especially during holidays, special occasions, when you are with other people...I've concluded that unless you are a hermit, interact exclusively with fellow sugar-shunners, or delivered of the sugar-temptation by God, the desire to eat something sweet will, at some point, present itself.
 
So how to resist the urge to incorporate sugar back into your daily diet? Find sweet alternatives (although if you really struggle with sugar addiction, asking God for help is the only sure-fire way to beat it).


I created the following recipe for raw granola as part of a snack experiment (snack recipes to follow next week). It's quick, easy and versatile and I've included some ideas for flavor alternatives which I've not tested yet, so you're on your own there.

Without further ado...


1-2-3 Raw Granola
1 c raw pecans
1/2 c. date paste
1 c. old fashioned oats, organic is best, gluten-free if needed

Yield: About 2 cups
 
1. Place pecans in a food processor and blend until the nuts stick together (it becomes pecan butter). This may take about 5 minutes.
2. Add date paste and process until combined.
3. Add oats and process until just combined. Store in an airtight jar in the fridge for up to one week.    

Taste options: While processing, add cinnamon or another favorite spice (start with 1/4 tsp and add more to taste) or try vanilla. After processing, stir in coconut, raisins, sunflower seeds, cranberries, raw pumpkin seeds or other dried fruit or nuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment